- Base/Location:Berrimba Child Care Centre, 94 Hare Street Echuca
- Reports To:Early Years Manager
- Hours:37.5 hours per week (Fullt Time)
- Position Scope:
The Berrimba Casual Cook is responsible for maintaining and implementing Berrimba’s Food Safety Program which includes complying to Food Act 1984 and Food Safety Standards, managing kitchen audits, developing nutritious menus for all children at the centre within the set budget, and promoting healthy eating.
- Professional Integrity
We treat all our people with dignity and respect
We always strive to do our best and improve the way we do things.
We commit to the actions we take to achieve the best possible outcome for our clients.
- Client Focus
We work toward improving the health and wellbeing of our clients and community.
- Develop, Maintain and Implement Food Safety Program
- Comply with Food Safety Act 1984 and Food Safety Standards, in particular 3.2.1 Food Safety Program,3.2.2 Food Safety Practices and General Requirements, 3.2.3 Food Premises and Equipment.
- Develop nutritious age appropriate menus for all children at Berrimba aged 6 months – 12 years in line with Berrimba’s Nutrition and Oral Health Policy.
- Maintain personal environmental hygiene and safe food preparation and cooking practices and adhere to Food Safety Victoria Compliance.
- Maintain and clean kitchen facilities and equipment to meet OH&S standards in accordance with the Berrimba Childcare Centre’s Food Safety Plan.
- Participate and become familiar with the National Early Years Learning Framework, Children’s Services Regulations 2009, National Quality Framework and Berrimba’s Quality Improvement Plan.
- Develop age appropriate menu for all children aged 6 months to 12 years.
- Maintain and comply with Njernda/Berrimba’s budgeting, money handling and reporting requirements.
- Maintain accurate documentation and records daily of all purchases, orders and food safety monitoring compliance according to Berrimba’s Food Safety Program and Food Safety Act 1984.
- Maintaining a high standard of food service within the Berrimba Food Safety Plan, Food Act 1984 and Occupational Health and Safety regulations.
- Manage annual audits alongside Berrimba Coordinator, with Goulburn Valley Food Safety Services and Shire of Campaspe.
- Promote and model healthy nutritious foods to children within the program guidelines.
- Implement and follow all of Berrimba/Njernda’s Policies and Procedures.
- Work collaboratively in Berrimba’s Team environment supporting educators when relieving tea/lunch breaks, participating in monthly staff meetings.
- Building relationships with external services to deliver Berrimba’s Food Safety Program and promote healthy eating.
- Managing and maintaining allergy information once notified by Berrimba Coordinator
- Ensure all staff adhere to Food Safety Program and provide training to any kitchen relief staff
Key selection criteria:
- A proven Knowledge and understanding of Aboriginal people and Aboriginal Culture.
- Ability to maintain safe food handling practices that support their qualification in Safe Food Handling and/or Food Safety Supervisor, meeting all Legislative compliance requirements.
- Well developed time management skills with the ability to work under pressure and adhere to strict timeframes.
- Well developed interpersonal skills with an interest in working in Children’s Services
- Understanding of and ability to work within the Early Years Learning Framework (EYLF) and the Victorian Early Years Learning and Development Framework (VEYLDF).
- Knowledge of nutrition for children aged 0-12years and an ability to develop menu’s that support healthy eating habits.
- Ability to manage time efficiently and demonstrate competent organisational skills to ensure that meals and snacks are prepared and presented when required.
- Well developed written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrate a commitment to confidentiality and professionalism.
- Establish and support professional and respectful relationships with parents, children, co-workers and members of the community to enhance and promote cooperation and assistance within the service and extend the opportunities for positive learning outcomes for children.
- Ability to clearly communicate with and gain cooperation from Children’s Services staff and Management as an effective team member.
- Demonstrate effective communication by actively listening and respecting the knowledge and skills of their peers.
- Provide written information to be included in the centres monthly newsletter.
- Ability to prepare and cook meals and snacks within limited time frames for up to 50 children per day.
- Sound knowledge of Children’s dietary needs, including allergies, cultural and religious requirements.
- Ability to source and develop new menu ideas, plan and order weekly food requirements for the service.
- Ability to work within and follow a budget.
- Basic computer skills.
Qualifications and experience:
- Food Safety Supervisor Certificate
- Safe Food Handling Certificate
- Relevant experience in the food preparation industry
- Working With Children’s Check
- Current Criminal Records Check
Other relevant information:
- Work activities and procedures are clearly defined and documented.
- Tasks may involve selection from a limited range of existing techniques, methods and processes.
- The employee will not commit Berrimba to any expenditure unless it is contained in Berrimba’s annual budgets, approved by centre coordinator and appropriate purchase order raised.
Guidance and advice is always available.
Please supply three referees with your application.
Commitment to equal opportunity and occupational health and safety principles and practices is required.
You will need to disclose any pre-existing illness or injury you know about which could be affected
Written applications should include a covering letter. Please include the names and telephone contacts of at least two referees and forward to:
All applicants must address the Key Selection Criteria and include a recent resume
Address your application marked: “Private & Confidential”
Please check the closing date to ensure your application is received within the specified time. Applications may be posted, emailed, hand delivered or faxed (provided that a hard copy is posted on the same day).
Applications may be posted, emailed, hand delivered or faxed (provided that a hard copy is posted on the same day).
To: Troy Egan
Njernda Aboriginal Corporation
86 Hare Street,
Echuca Vic 3564
(PO Box 201, Echuca Vic 3564 )
Fax: (03) 5480 6116
All applications close: Monday, 28th January 2019