|Establishing relationships based on respect and trust
|Taking ownership and initiative of Njernda values to ensure trusted collaborations are formed
|Encouraging cultural and spiritual growth to enable personal growth
|Working to transform the disadvantage and challenge that causes impact on our community
|Welcoming and serving our community with understanding and without judgement
- Ensure the centre operates a High Quality Child Care service in accordance with Accreditation principles and guidelines, and local, state and Commonwealth Government guidelines, policies and regulations.
- Ensure the Service operates cost effectively through financial Budgeting, Funding applications, Kindergarten funding requirements, Applying for Grants, Fee collection, purchasing of supplies/equipment
- Overall development and direction of the centre – quality Improvement, strategic planning, risk registers, Bush Kinder Project, creation and supervision of new programs offered/developed.
- Employment of full time/part time/relief staff
- Induction of new staff/students on placement
- Supervision of all staff by developing and maintaining a cooperative and flexible team approach.
- Record keeping of any incidents
- Orientation for new families/enrolments
- Managing child attendance to comply with licensing
- Coordinator Community/Family Engagement
- Chairing and minutes for staff meetings
- Scheduling professional development and training for staff
- Development and strengthening of partnerships in the community – Parks Victoria, Local Elders, TAFE, Echuca Regional Health, Echuca Library, Campaspe Shire, Save the Children, Kindergartens, Schools, Early Intervention Services, Specialist Services – Speech & Audiology
- Ensuring we adhere to regulations, National Framework, National Quality Standards
- Working with OHS Representative to ensure we are complying and attending to any maintenance issues
- Oversee kitchen staff to ensure we are complying with new Food Safety Program and Procedures
- Review and development of policies and procedures and position descriptions/scope of work.
- Staff appraisals
- Supervision of all staff within the Berrimba Service Directorate
- Provide monthly reports to the Executive Director
- Attend managers meetings
- Actively encourage parent input into program planning and involvement in program activities as appropriate.
- Provide regular information on program, service operation and child development for parents in the form of newsletters, posters and notices.
- Provide feedback to parents on their child/ren’s progress and alert them to any development issues/challenges.
- Supervise unqualified workers caring for the group of children under his/her care.
- Actively encourage the continuing development of staff involved in developing and delivering the program.
- Provide formal feedback on staff performance as part of the annual performance appraisal process.
- Provide regular reports weekly to the Co-ordinator/Assistant Coordinator on the implementation and review of the program.
- Complete within required timelines all relevant program related reports and data collections required by funding bodies.
- Document and report on any maintenance issues related to equipment and materials used within the program.
Berrimba Planning Processes
- Participate in the overall development and implementation of the strategic and business plans of the Centre.
- Ensure the long day care program is developed and implemented in ways that support the long range goals, objectives, plans and policies, and the vision of the centre.
- Participate in the centre’s regular staff meetings and professional development workshops.
Key Selection Criteria
- Demonstrated understanding and commitment to Aboriginal Culture.
- Demonstrated ability to work with Aboriginal organizations and communities.
- A sound understanding and knowledge of Early Childhood Development.
- Experience working in a Child Care Program.
- Well-developed program development and implementation skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and an ability to communicate effectively with parents and professionals.
- Demonstrated ability to lead a team.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and remain impartial at all times.
- Ability to set priorities and meet deadlines and be self-motivated.
In addition, it is expected that the incumbent will
- Seek opportunities for personal and professional development which will add to Berrimba’s overall capabilities.
- Undertake travel as required
Qualifications and experience
- Diploma of Children’s Services/Bachelor of Early Childhood Education or willingness to obtain.
- Experience managing a multi-disciplinary team
- Knowledge and understanding of Child Safe Standards
- Food Safety Supervisor Certificate
- Safe Food Handling Certificate
- Relevant experience in the food preparation industry
- An appropriate First Aid Training certificate which complies with the requirements of the Children’s Services regulations 1998.
Commitment to Safety
All children have the right to be children and live free of abuse and neglect, so they can grow, learn, and develop. Everyone within Njernda is responsible for ensuring a culture of child safety; preventing child abuse and abiding by the Child Safety Principles
Other relevant information
- The successful applicant will be required to undergo satisfactory pre-employment checks, including providing at least two professional referees, completion of a medical declaration, Police Records Check, Working With Children Check, Victorian Driver’s License, and proof of identify and qualifications
- Commitment to equal opportunity and occupational health and safety principles and practices is required
- You will need to disclose any pre-existing illness or injury you know about which could be affected by the described work duties. Under section 82 (7) of the Accident Compensation Act, failure to disclose such a pre-existing illness or injury will mean that, if employed, you will not be paid compensation for that condition.
To be Eligible for an Interview
The Applicant MUST address the Key Selection Criteria and include a recent resume.
Address your application marked: “Private & Confidential” to:
Njernda Aboriginal Corporation
P.O. Box 21 Echuca Vic 3564
- Written applications should include a covering letter. Please include the names and telephone contacts of at least two referees.
- Please check the closing date to ensure your application is received within the specified time. Applications may be posted, emailed, hand delivered or faxed (provided that a hard copy is posted on the same day).
All applications close: 30th Sep 2023